Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club records
The Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club records are those of a local collective effort among Topeka, Kansas, women to promote unity and goodwill through domestic artwork, literature and community service.
- 1913 - 1969
- Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club (Topeka, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literature Club
On February 17, 1899, a group of women met at the home of Mrs. Ossie Fox; that group soon became known as the Ne Plus Ultra Art Club. The club was a local collective effort among African American women in Topeka, Kansas to promote unity and goodwill through domestic artwork and community service. After several years the name of the Club changed to Ne Plus Art and Literature Club, reflecting the women's desire to continually broaden their knowledge. Ne Plus was among the first African American women's clubs in Topeka, Kansas, to join the Kansas Federation of Colored Women's Clubs in 1900. Ne Plus also organized a Junior Ne Plus Ultra club for children, most of whose mothers were members of the adult Club. Artwork created by club members has earned praise over the years on both the local and state level.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box + 3 folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literature Club records date from 1913-1969 and are arranged in one series: Club Papers. The papers consist mainly of the Club's yearbooks, but also include Club calendars and Club reports. Within the series, folder arrangement is alphabetical.
Photographs from the Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literature Club are located at RH MS-P 679.
RH MS 679
RH MS-P 679
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Ardenia Brown, 1993
- Guide to the Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club Collection
- Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club records
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2006; revised by, cl 2010; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2006; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Ne Plus Ultra Art and Literary Club Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 679, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States