Papers of Margaret Stockton
- 1912 - 1966
- Stockton, Margaret T., 1894-1966 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Margaret Stansbury Stockton
5 linear foot (10 boxes)
Scope and Contents
Her activities provide a detailed account of two local community organizations in Lawrence: The Council of Social Agencies and the Recreation Commission. Among the numerous organizations that had representation on the Council of Social Agencies were: The American Red Cross, The Boy Scouts, PTA groups, Lawrence Health Department and the Salvation Army. The Lawrence Recreation Commission's largest concern was sponsoring and organizing summer recreation programs for schools and social and cultural events for the community in general. Information is also provided on such organizations as the Bert Nash Mental Clinic, the Lawrence Humane Society, and the Kansas League of Women; in all of these Mrs. Stockton was actively involved.
The collection contains a substantial amount of information on personal and family matters including photographic albums.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Frank T. Stockton, 1966.
- Alpha Phi
- Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center
- Community development -- Kansas -- Lawrence
- Community organization -- Kansas -- Lawrence
- Council of Social Agencies (Lawrence, Kan.)
- Festival of Arts and Crafts (Lawrence, Kan.)
- Freedom Train
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Social life and customs
- Lawrence Humane Society (Lawrence, Kan.)
- Lawrence Parent-Teacher Council
- Lawrence Recreation Commission
- Lawrence Recreation Council
- League of Women Voters (Lawrence, Kan.)
- Social problems -- Kansas -- Lawrence
- Women -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Societies and clubs
- Zodiac Club (Lawrence, Kan.)
- Guide to the Margaret Stockton Collection
- Papers of Margaret Stockton
- Finding aid prepared by es, 1979. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2004. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2020.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
<p> Margaret Stockton Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 17, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas</p>