First United Methodist Church records
These records of the First United Methodist Church of Lawrence, Kansas, which date from 1877 to 1971, also include records generated under the church's earlier name, the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Lawrence. Included are records of church finances, members, marriages, funerals, baptisms, conferences, activities of the church's Loyal Ladies Class, its Epworth League of junior members, and special events in the church's history.
- 1877 - 1971
- First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kan.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1.75 Linear Feet (3 document cases)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The collection contains membership records from 1893 to 1925 and from 1941 to 1950, records of the church's Loyal Ladies Class and of the Epworth League (the church's youth organization), programs from celebrations of special events in church history, published minutes of the Indiana Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church from 1877 to 1906, 1942 journal notes of the church's pulpit flowers, and church records of marriages, funerals, and baptisms from 1918 to 1941. Two programs are included from anniversary celebrations of the First Methodist Episcopal Church at Baldwin City, Kansas.
The collection's photographs are at RH MS-P 804. They include a group photograph of students at Lawrence's Haskell Institute, to which the church extended its outreach efforts, and 12 photographs (chiefly teaching career photographs) of church member Charles Merwin--an educator in the Kansas communities of Stockton, Iola, Erie, and Lawrence.
RH MS 804
RH MS-P 804
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kan.), 1989
- First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kan.) -- Archives
- First United Methodist Church (Lawrence, Kan.) -- History
- High school students -- Kansas -- Erie
- High school students -- Kansas -- Stockton
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- Church history
- Merwin, Charles, 1855-
- Methodist Episcopal Church (Baldwin City, Kan.)
- Teachers -- Kansas
- Guide to the First United Methodist Church Collection
- First United Methodist Church records
- Finding aid prepared by mh, 2006. Finding aid encoded by mh, 2006. Finding aid revised by cl, 2010. Finding aid revised by mwh, 2021.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
First United Methodist Church records, Kansas Collection, RH MS 804, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States