Skip to main content

Trinity Episcopal Church (Lawrence, Kan.) records

 Collection
Call Number: RH MS 797

Overview

The collection contains an early history of the Trinity Episcopal Church in Lawrence, Kan., vestry notebooks providing administrative and financial documentation about the church, newspaper clippings, parish bulletins, church directories, photographs, and youth group newsletters, among other related materials.

Dates

  • 1858 - 2004

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

No access restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.

History of the Trinity Episcopal Church of Lawrence, Kansas

In 1857 when Kansas was still a territory, Reverend Charles Reynolds conducted the first Episcopal religious services held in Lawrence at the request of his brother Samuel, one of the early settlers of the town. The reverend decided to return to Lawrence in 1858 with his family in order to establish an Episcopalian church.

Trinity became the 8th Episcopal church organized in territorial Kansas and by summer 1859 had its own building on Vermont Street. The parish survived the hardships of the Civil War and continued to grow, to the point that the building needed an addition in order to serve all its congregation by the mid-1860s. By Easter 1873 the congregation had an entirely new church built, its membership now numbering well over 100 people.

In April 1955 the church building caught fire, its interior almost entirely destroyed, including the roof. Parishioners were able to rescue several objects, including the altar cross and other altar pieces. The renovated church reopened a year later in March 1956.

In the late 1980s Trinity's leadership started exploring the idea of building another parish church in the developing western end of the city. By spring 1996 St. Margaret's Episcopal Church had its groundbreaking ceremony.

Extent

9.25 Linear Feet (13 boxes + 2 volumes)

Physical Location

RH MS 797

Physical Location

RH MS 1169

Physical Location

RH MS-P1169

Physical Location

RH MS D194

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gifts, Annie Williams, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2008; Jennie C. Wright; Kb transfer.

Related Materials

Winnie D. Lowrance collection, RH MS P94, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.

Clenece Hills collection, RH MS 1022, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.

Esther Buhler Paxton collection, RH MS 863, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.

Title
Guide to the Trinity Episcopal Church (Lawrence, Kan.) Collection
Subtitle
Trinity Episcopal Church (Lawrence, Kan.) records
Author
Finding aid prepared by skt, 2006; revised by mrm, 2010.
Date
2006
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.
Finding aid permalink
http://hdl.handle.net/10407/4470989793
Preferred citation
Trinity Episcopal Church (Lawrence, Kans.) records, RH MS 797, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository

Contact:
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States
785-864-4334