Thomas K. Mitchell diary
The diary entries are varied and detailed. Mitchell records an eclipse of the moon, observes the course of the war and the politics involved in it. He also observes military life, the prevalence and fatal consequences of diseases such as measles and mumps, the physical and demographic features of the country through which he traveled. There are lists of all the members of his company, their nativity and home towns.
- 1861 - 1864
- Mitchell, Thomas K. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Thomas K. Mitchell.
Mitchell enlisted in the 4th Regular Illinois Cavalry in 1861 and served three years with this unit as a sergeant in Company G. Mitchell saw duty in Illinois, Tennessee, and Mississippi. The 4th Illinois Cavalry participated in some of the most important campaigns in the Mississippi Valley--the Battle of Shiloh, the siege of Vicksburg, and the operations in the vicinity of Jackson and Natchez. Mitchell, himself, is quite interesting; he studied algebra in his spare time, attended the theatre while stationed in Memphis, participated in Bible study. He also declined an invitation to a Christmas Eve ball in Natchez because he did not "desire acquaintance with Rebel ladies".
1 volume (169 pages, 21cm. Holograph. )
Language of Materials
RH MS C12
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift. Owen Mitchell, 1959.
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Mississippi -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States. Army -- Military life
- United States. Army. Illinois Cavalry Regiment, 4th (1861-1864) -- Regimental histories
- Guide to the Thomas K. Mitchell Collection
- Thomas K. Mitchell diary
- lgg 5 February 1971 mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid writtenin<language> English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Thomas K. Mitchell Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS C12, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States