Reverend Robert Shelton papers
The Robert Shelton Collection consists of a series of documents mainly pertaining to such issues as fair housing and racial discrimination in Kansas. Several civil rights organizations were involved in this movement and they represent a basis for the organization of this collection. They are the Council on Human Relations, the Race Relations Committee, Students for a Democratic Society, Kansas Advisory Council on Civil Rights, Kansas Commission on Civil Rights, The Methodist Church, and the Inter-religious Foundation for Community Organization, Inc. A general goal for these organizations was to coordinate different community efforts in order to achieve effective legislative lobbying regarding these issues. In addition, they tried to obtain the communities commitment for and preservation of, equality and fellowship in society.
- Creation: 1961 - 1973
- Shelton, Robert L., 1934- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
RH MS 188
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Rev. Robert Shelton, 1975.
The following materials were transferred to the Wilcox Collection: Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization News: May-April, 1971; May-June, 1971; July-Aug, 1971; Sept.-Oct, 1971.
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.) (Organization)
- Kansas Advisory Council on Civil Rights (Organization)
- Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization (U.S.) (Organization)
- Interfaith Council on Race (Organization)
- Kansas. Commission on Civil Rights (Organization)
- Guide to the Reverend Robert Shelton Collection
- Reverend Robert Shelton papers
- es 2/79; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Reverend Robert Shelton Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 188, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas