Papers of Julia V. (Richards) Harris
The Julia V. (Richards) Harris Papers are those of a longtime Kansas resident, focusing on Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA) and specifically the sorority's Mu Omega Chapter of Kansas City, Kansas. The collection also provides information about Harris' mother, Julia C. Richards, and there are a large number of items focusing on Lillian Orme, a fellow AKA-Mu Omega member.
- Creation: 1919 - 2008
- Harris, Julia Violetta (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Julia V. (Richards) Harris
Julia Violetta Richards was born in Sedalia, Missouri to David Forest Richards (1896-1985) and Julia Christina (Diggs) Richards (1898-2004). She graduated from Sedalia's Hubbard High School and in 1947 from the University of Kansas with a Bachelor of Science degree in Education. While at the University, Richards was a member of a number of organizations, including Alpha Kappa Alpha, and remained active in the sorority's Mu Omega chapter. In 1948, Julia V. Richards married Robert C. Harris, Jr. (circa 1923-2000). The couple had one son, Brian Christopher Harris.
1.75 Linear Feet (5 document cases + 3 oversize boxes, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Julia V. (Richards) Harris collection dates from 1940 to 2013 and is arranged in two series, Papers and Photographs. Folder arrangement is alphabetical in two separate runs based upon when collection materials were received.
Photographs from the collection are located at RH MS-P 1179 and RH MS-P 1256. Oversize materials can be found at RH MS Q311, RH MS R275, RH MS Q354, and RH MS R320.
The majority of the addition located at RH MS 1256 relates to Harris' mother, Julia Christina (Diggs) Richards. In these materials, Mrs. Richards is noted both as Julia C. Richards and Christina D. Richards. For the sake of consistency in labeling, Julia C. Richards has been used for this collection.
RH MS 1179
RH MS 1256
RH MS-P 1179
RH MS-P 1256
RH MS Q311
RH MS Q354
RH MS R275
RH MS R320
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Julia Violetta Harris, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Richards, Julia Christina, 1898-2004 (Person)
- Orme, Lillian, 1911-1993 (Person)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. Delta Chapter (University of Kansas) (Organization)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority. Mu Omega Chapter (Kansas City, Kan.) (Organization)
- Order of the Eastern Star. Queen City Chapter No. 47 (Sedalia, Mo.) (Organization)
- Order of the Eastern Star. Harmony Grand Chapter (Missouri) (Organization)
- Central Association of Colored Women's Clubs (Organization)
- University of Kansas. Department of Home Economics (Organization)
- Guide to the Julia V. Harris collection
- Papers of Julia V. (Richards) Harris
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2010; revised by mbw, 2012; revised by sen, 2013; revised by awo, 2014.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Julia V. Harris Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1179, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries