University of Kansas Museum of Art records
Formally known as the Museum of Art, University of Kansas, the University's art collections had been stored and/or displayed in Spooner Hall, which had previously housed KU's library. The first item in the collection was a marble bust of Amos Adams Lawrence, donated by the subject in 1878. Sallie Casey Thayer provided the real impetus for the establishment of a full university art museum in 1928 through her donation of 7,500 items from her personal collection. The Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art opened in its current building in 1978. This collection of records includes planning records, Museum of Art lists, correspondence, artificial records, news releases, and publications.
- University of Kansas. Museum of Art (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some series in this record group will require permission from the office of origin before use. Personnel and student records are closed in accordance with applicable law. All requests are subject to review by the Archives staff to determine accessibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
20.25 Linear Feet (27 boxes + 3 volumes)
This collection is arranged in the following series:
- Museum of Art
University Archives continues to add material to this collection on a regular basis.
Collection description current as of October 20, 2010.
- Guide to the Records of the University of Kansas
- University of Kansas Museum of Art records
- Finding aid prepared by jtf, 2006, updated by lmb, 2010; Finding aid encoded by jtf, 2006.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in <language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
University of Kansas Museum of Art records, University Archives, RG 34, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries