University of Kansas Libraries records
The University of Kansas Library began with the opening of the University in 1866, and was located in several buildings, including Old Fraser and Spooner Hall. The main library found its current location in Watson Library, named in honor of librarian Carrie Watson, in 1924. The University Libraries have since grown into a system of libraries on KU's main, Medical Center, and other satellite campuses. The records of the Libraries include administrative records of the system's many branches, collections, and service departments, as well as library committees and staff associations.
- University of Kansas. Libraries (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some series in this record group will require permission from the office of origin before use. Personnel and student records are closed in accordance with applicable law. All requests are subject to review by the Archives staff to determine accessibility. Contact email@example.com for additional assistance.
381.25 Linear Feet (429 boxes + 2 oversize boxes, 58 volumes)
This record group has records from the following sub-groups:
- Kansas Collection
- Music Library
- Acquisitions Department
- Science Library (later Anschutz Library)
- Slavic Library
- Special Collections
- University Archives
- Collection Development
- Book Contest
- Human Resources [restricted access]
- Regents Center Library (Linwood)
- Spanish and Portuguese, and Latin American (SPLAT)
- Friends of the Library
- KULSS (classified staff) Conference
- Library Staff Association
- Libraries Peer Review Committee
- Libraries Committee on Promotion and Tenure
- Libraries Committees and Governance
- Watson Library Exhibits Committee
- Kenneth Spencer Research Library
- Reader Services Department
Additional organizational structures in the Libraries have included the Art Library; Book Selection, Business and Economics Reading Room, Circulation, Copying Service, Documents, Dyche Reading Room, East Asian Library, Entomology Reading Room, Exchange and Gifts, Interlibrary Services, Latin American Library, Map Library, Engineering Library, Mathematics Library, Microforms, Reference, Reserve, Serials (Periodicals), Bindery, and Security and Delivery.
University Archives continues to add material to this collection on a regular basis. The inventory description was current as of February 7, 2011.
- Guide to the Records of the University of Kansas
- University of Kansas Libraries records
- Finding aid prepared by jtf, 2005, updated by lmb, 2011. Finding aid encoded by jtf, 2005; updated by lmb, 2011. Revised by mwh, 2018.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
University of Kansas Libraries records, University Archives, RG 32, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas