George Churchill legal document
This collection consists of a single legal document in the form of a letter: appointment as ship's master. Order by Churchill, as Admiral of the Blue Squadron of the English Navy, directed to Mr John Mullett (who is fit to serve as Master of any of HM ships of the third rate) to repair to HMS Sommersett and take charge of her as Master (under a Captain), "for which this shall be your Warrant." "By the Honoble Geo: Churchill...Whereas I am inform'd of your ability..."
- May 9, 1703
- Churchill, George, 1654?-1710 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 folder (1 leaf, unbound) : Mounted, probably in album, previously. Text and address on same side (only bookseller's notes on verso). Text and signature differ; therefore probably written by clerk but signed by Churchill. Paper. ; 30 x 90cm
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bristow, 1975. Gift of Helen Foresman Spencer, May 30, 1975.
- Churchill, George, 1654?-1710 -- Correspondence
- Great Britain -- History, Naval -- 18th century
- Guide to the George Churchill Collection
- George Churchill legal document
- Finding aid prepared by alh, July 10, 1975. Finding aid encoded by mg, 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
George Churchill legal document, Department of Special Collections, MS P468, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas
Part of the University of Kansas. Kenneth Spencer Research Library Repository
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence KS 66045-7616 United States