An account of the Church and remains of the Manor House of Stanton Harcourt in the County of Oxford
This historical account of the church and remains of the manor house of Stanton Harcourt in Oxfordshire (Nuneham Courtenay), covering the period 1199 to circa 1800, was written by George Simon Harcourt, 2nd Earl Harcourt (1736-1809) in 1808, although this year that was copied may have been 1818. It is dedicated to the antiquary, Richard Gough (1735-1809), and includes texts of epitaphs by William Congreve, Alexander Pope and John Gay, and of a letter from Gay.
- 1808 or 1818
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
1 volume : Collation: Gathering of 10 leaves sewn into wallpaper cover, the latter consisting of two pieces joined together with patterns matching. Ornamentation: Stamp inside front cover: The stamp, consisting of "First Account Taken" in capitals encircling a crown and above the number "139", appears to be a wallpaper tax stamp, reflecting the origin of the cover material as waste wallpaper. Pages are unnumbered. ; Volume measures no taller than 25 cm.
Hofmann-Freeman bookseller's printed entry: "816. no. 796...With a schedule of deeds relating to property of Dudson Bacon, gentleman, at Stanton Harcourt, from 42 Elizabeth to 1719." Found rolled up with the schedule of deeds, now assigned call number MS 239:2791, but shelved as a roll at MS RS 9:78.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Date: Because the manuscript was apparently published in 1808 (this information is tentative, because the cataloger has not seen the published work) and Harcourt and Gough both died in 1809, the date of 1808 on the title page must be correct. The date on the inscription page could be either 1808 or 1818.
Alternate title: Title also written on front cover as "Account of the Church & the Remains of the Manor House of Stanton Harcourt Oxon."
- Guide to the George Simon Harcourt Manuscript Collection
- An account of the Church and remains of the Manor House of Stanton Harcourt in the County of Oxford
- Finding aid prepared by alh, 1971; revised by ksc, 2006. Finding aid encoded by skt, 2005.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
An account of the Church and remains of the Manor House of Stanton Harcourt in the County of Oxford, MS C202, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas.