Records of Microwave Associates
The Microwave Associates records are those of company co-founder Richard M. Walker and pertain to the company's business and research affairs. The company is a developer and manufacturer of RF (radio frequency), microwave and millimeter wave semiconductors, components and technologies.
- 1942 - 1996
- M/A-COM, Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
History of Microwave Associates
Microwave Associates, Inc. was founded in August 1950 in Boston, Massachusetts by engineers Vessarios Chiga, Louis Roberts, Hugh Wainwright, and Richard M. Walker. Through a dedication to research and design, the company became a pioneer in microwave and radio frequency technology. By 1957 the company had grown too large for its Boston location and moved to a site on Route 128 - the "Electronics Highway." That same year it became a publicly-held company and was listed on the American Stock Exchange in 1959 and on the New York Stock Exchange in 1973.
Microwave Associates is involved not only in aerospace and defense-related industries but also in the wireless telecommunication and automotive industries. In 1978, the company legally changed its name to M/A-COM, Inc. to represent its communications involvement. M/A-COM has become a part of Tyco Electronics, the largest section of Tyco International, and has design and sales office around the globe.
Biography of Richard M. Walker (-1983)
One of Microwave Associates' founders, Richard M. Walker, was a Kansas native who, in 1943, graduated from the University of Kansas with a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering. He went on to work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Radiation Laboratory from 1943-1946 where he was involved in research and development of microwave radar for the armed forces. While there, Walker was chosen as a contributing author for volume nine of the McGraw-Hill Radiation Laboratory Series. From 1946-1950, Walker worked in the Electronics Division of Sylvania Electric Products,Inc. During his career, Walker earned 25 US and foreign patents, was a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and a registered professional engineer. In 1980, he received a Distinguished Engineering Service Award from the University of Kansas School of Engineering.
Richard M. Walker died in 1983. He was survived by his wife of 38 years, Adelaide (Holbrook) Walker, and his children, Edith and Richard.
21.25 Linear Feet (22 boxes + 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder, 12 folders)
Scope and Contents
The Microwave Associates records date from 1942 to 1996 and are arranged in three series: Business Papers, Scientific Papers, and Photographs. Within the Business Papers are six subseries: Financial, General, Human Resources, Marketing, Meetings, and Stocks. These subseries contain such papers as financial reports, correspondence, press releases, Board of Directors information, and investment reports. There are six subseries within Scientific Papers: General, Personal, Products, Progress Reports, Radiation Laboratory, and Technical Manuscripts. Examples of these papers are lab notebooks, technical drawings and designs, project status reports, and technical articles, memos, and proposals.
Folder arrangement within each series is generally alphabetical by topic, with chronological arrangement of items within each folder except where noted in the collection description.
Photographs from the Microwave Associates collection are located at RH MS-P 601. Oversize items have been physically separated and are located at RH MS Q115 and RH MS R116.
The Microwave Associates Papers date from 1942 to 1996 and are arranged in three series and twelve subseries:
- Business Papers, 1945-1996
- Subseries: Financial, General, Human Resources, Marketing, Meetings, and Stocks.
- Scientific Papers, 1942-1982
- Subseries: General, Personal, Products, Progress Reports, Radiation Laboratory, and Technical Manuscripts.
- Photographs, mostly undated
- [There are no subseries for this series.]
RH MS 601
RH MS-P 601
RH MS Q115
RH MS R116
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, Edith L. Walker, 1999, 2000, 2005.
- African American engineers -- Massachusetts
- Engineering -- Massachusetts
- Microwave Associates
- Microwave circuits -- Design and construction
- Microwaves -- Technological innovations
- Radio circuits -- Design and construction
- Semiconductor industry
- Telecommunication -- Technological innovations
- University of Kansas. School of Engineering -- Alumni and alumnae
- Guide to the Microwave Associates Collection
- Records of Microwave Associates
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2005, 2006. Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2005. Finding aid revised by skt, 2010.
- 2005, 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Records of Microwave Associates, Kansas Collection, RH MS 601, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas