Papers of the Shinn Family
The papers of the Shinn Family are those of an African American family from Topeka, Kansas. Though the papers are those of the Arthur M. Shinn family, the majority concern his son Michael G. Shinn's time as a University of Kansas athlete, an engineer, and an advocate of academic and professional opportunities for African Americans.
- Creation: 1882 - 1991
- Shinn (Family : Topeka, Kan.) (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Shinn Family
Arthur M. Shinn was born 24 April 1907 at Oskaloosa, Kansas to Willis and Nancy Shinn. The family moved to Topeka, Kansas in 1917, where he attended the Topeka Public Schools. On 10 August 1926, Shinn married Lillie May Mitchell in Lawrence, Kansas. The couple had three children, Arthur M. Shinn, Jr., Jack P. Shinn, and Michael G. Shinn. Arthur Shinn, Sr. worked as a mechanic for the Santa Fe Railroad until his retirement. He died 20 April 1991 at Topeka. Lillie (Mitchell) Shinn died 25 April 1982.
Arthur and Lillie Shinn's son Michael was born 28 February 1943 at Topeka, Kansas. He graduated from Topeka High School and then attended the University of Kansas, receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering in 1966. While at KU, Shinn was an Academic All-American end and co-captain of the football team. In 1972, Shinn received an MBA from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Shinn held various positions at both the Ford Motor Company and General Electric before retiring from his position as regional manager of corporate recruiting and university development at GE in 1998. After leaving GE, Shinn worked as a certified financial planner for Financial Network Investment Corporation and was a personal finance columnist for African American newspapers.
Michael Shinn was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi and the Board of Corporate Affiliates of the National Society of Black Engineers, where he founded a fellowship program. Shinn was also active as a University of Kansas Alumni. He served as a co-chair of the Black Alumni Steering Committee, as a member of the Kansas Alumni Association National Board of Advisors (from 1979-1983), and on the School of Engineering Advisory Board. Shinn also developed a scholarship for minority students at the University of Kansas School of Engineering. He married Joyce (Costello) Shinn in 1965. They had two children, Colynn and Stephen.
3.5 Linear Feet (6 boxes + 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
Scope and Contents
The Shinn Family Papers date from 1882 to 2002. The Collection has two portions and users are encouraged to consult both in their research. The first portion, located at RH MS 595, is arranged in four series: Michael G. Shinn, Arthur M. Shinn, Sr., Lillie Shinn, and Other Shinn Family Members. Series reflect various family members and folder arrangement within each series is generally alphabetical by topic, with chronological arrangement of items within each folder. The Collection's second portion is located at RH MS 1177 and follows the same arrangement as the first portion.
Photographs from the Shinn Family Papers are located at RH MS-P 595. Oversized items are located at RH MS Q112 and RH MS R113.
The Shinn Family Papers date from 1882 to 2002 and are arranged in four series: Michael G. Shinn, Arthur M. Shinn, Sr, Lillie Shinn, and Other Shinn Family Members.
Michael G. Shinn
- RH MS 595: 1942-1982, 32 folders.
- The bulk of these papers reflect Shinn's work with the University of Kansas' Alumni bodies, as well as some work from Case Western Reserve University, and other personal materials.
- RH MS 1177: 1957-1999, 1 ft.
- These papers consist of information from Ford and GE, Shinn's time at CWRU and KU, correspondence, and clippings.
Arthur M. Shinn, Sr.
- RH MS 595: 1920-1991, 22 folders.
- The bulk of these papers consist of letters and various legal documents
- RH MS 1177: 1991-1995, 2 folders.
- These papers consist of information from Shinn's funeral and estate/probate dealings.
- RH MS 595: 1923-1982, 5 folders.
- These papers consist of letters, certificates, Shinn's will, and funeral information
- RH MS 1177: 1982, 1 folder.
- This folder contains funeral information.
Other Shinn Family Members
- RH MS 595: 1882-1887, 16 folders.
- This series consists of such items as correspondence, legal documents, programs, education records, and club information.
- RH MS 1177: 1962-2002, 3 folders.
- These papers consist of funeral, scholarship, and financial information.
RH MS 595
RH MS-P 595
RH MS 1177
RH MS Q112
RH MS R113
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Michael G. Shinn, 1991.
Gift, Michael G. Shinn, 2010.
- Shinn, Michael G., 1943- (Person)
- Shinn, Arthur M., 1907-1991 (Person)
- Shinn family (Family)
- General Electric Company (Organization)
- University of Kansas. School of Engineering -- Alumni and alumnae (Organization)
- University of Kansas -- Football (Organization)
- Case Western Reserve University -- Alumni and alumnae (Organization)
- Guide to the Shinn Family Collection
- Papers of the Shinn Family
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2005; revised by skt, 2010; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2005; revised by mbw, 2010; revised by skt, 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Shinn Family Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 595, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries
Or: Shinn Family Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 1177, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries