William Harrington, III papers
The William Harrington III papers are those of a long time Kansas resident and former Buffalo Soldier who served in the U.S. Army for 30 years.
- Harrington, William, 1894-1994 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of William Harrington
William Harrington III was born Nov 27, 1894 in Atlanta, Georgia. He entered the U.S. Army in 1913 and, after being sworn in at Ft. Hayes, Ohio, he was sent to Ft. Riley, Kansas where he was assigned to the 9th Cavalry Regiment. There he was a member of the 9th Cav. Headquarters and the Mounted Service School (Black); he also reached the position of Sergeant Major. In 1940, Harrington was transferred from the Cavalry to field artillery; he moved to Camp Livingston, Louisiana where he was Sgt. Maj. of the 46th Field Artillery Battalion. He retired Sept. 30, 1943. Harrington went on to work for a Monterrey, California company outfitting Army troop ships for the World War II Pacific theater. In 1965 he returned to Kansas.
William Harrington died March 19, 1994 at Ft. Riley.
Scope and Contents
The William Harrington III papers date from 1986 and consist entirely of photocopied typescripts. Folder arrangement is alphabetical by topic.
RH MS P846
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, William Harrington, 1988.
- Guide to the William Harrington, III Collection
- William Harrington, III papers
- Finding aid prepared by mbw, 2008; Finding aid encoded by mbw, 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in<language encodinganalog="language">English.</language>
- Support for the processing of this Collection was provided by the Dana and Sue Anderson African American Collecting Program Endowment Fund.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
William Harrington III Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS P846, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas Libraries