Lyman Underwood Humphrey correspondence, documents, and memorabilia
Call Number: RH MS 27
Humphrey was governor of Kansas, 1888-1892. This collection of correspondence and documents, which is arranged chronologically, covers the period from 1872 to 1906.
- 1872 - 1906
- Humphrey, Lyman Underwood, 1844-1915 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Spencer Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials.
Biography of Lyman Underwood Humphrey
Humphrey was governor of Kansas, 1888-1892. Before entering politics he edited the South Kansas Tribune (Independence, Kansas) with W. T. Yoe from 1871-1873. He established a law practice in Independence in 1873. In 1876 he was elected to the House of Representatives in the Kansas Legislature and Lieutenant-Governor for an unexpired term, and in 1878 was elected to that office for a full term. Humphrey ran for election to Congress from the 3rd District (Independence, Kansas) in 1892, but lost. For additional biographical information see Portrait and Biographical Record of Southeastern Kansas ... Chicago, 1894.
.5 Linear Feet (1 box (325 items))
Scope and Contents
This collection of correspondence and documents, which is arranged chronologically, covers the period from 1872, shortly after Humphrey arrived in Kansas, to 1906. There are 325 items which were arranged into four large groups.
RH MS 27
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed inventory is available at ksrl.kc.humphreylyman.ead.pdf
- African Americans -- Kansas
- Bird City (Kan.) -- History
- Blackman, C. V., Mrs.
- Christian Arbitration and Peace Society
- Cimarron (Kan.) -- History
- Democratic Party (Kan.)
- El Reno (Okla.) -- History
- Engle, A. M.
- Estip, John
- Governors -- Kansas -- Correspondence
- Grand Army of the Republic. Department of Kansas
- Grass, Daniel
- Gray County (Kan.) -- History
- Hayes, Rutherford B., 1822-1893
- Ingalls (Kan.) -- History
- Ingalls, John James, 1833-1900
- Insurance companies -- Kansas
- Kansas -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950
- Kansas Farmers Fire Insurance Company (Abilene, Kan.)
- Kansas Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Kansas. Board of Police Commissioners
- Kansas. Militia
- Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History
- Leevre, Ferdinand van, -1889
- Martin, George Washington, 1841-1914
- Martin, John Alexander, 1839-1889
- McCabe, Edward P., 1850-1920
- Montgomery County (Kan.) -- History
- Myers, Murray, 1844-1922
- Neosho County (Kan.) -- History
- Pomeroy, S. C. (Samuel Clarke), 1816-1891
- Populist Party (Kan.)
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1876
- Prohibition -- Kansas
- Prohibition -- Pennsylvania
- Republican Party (Kan.)
- Republican Party (Okla.)
- Ruff, John (Correspondent of Lyman Underwood Humphrey)
- Scott, Charles F., 1860-1938
- Simpson, W. A. (William A.)
- Smith, James, 1837-1914
- Stacey, A. G.
- Syndicate Lands and Irrigating Corp. (Kansas City, Mo.)
- Waller, John Lewis, 1850-1907
- Women -- Suffrage
- Guide to the Lyman Underwood Humphrey Collection
- Lyman Underwood Humphrey correspondence, documents, and memorabilia
- nk, 1971; lgg 11 January 73; mg 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- Finding aid permalink
- Preferred citation
Lyman Underwood Humphrey Collection, Kansas Collection, RH MS 27 , Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas